- Hinsdale South Librarian Allison Bava presented at the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Conference on Teaching Excellence. Her presentation focused on how integrating technology in schools strengthens student learning and teachers’ professional development.
- Janet Roller-Schmidt was awarded the Griffin Award of Excellence by the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago for Innovative Teaching at the High School Level
- Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South were named among Newsweek’s best high schools in the nation.
- Hinsdale Central’s Chris Freiler published the 2nd edition of his AP European History review book with McGraw Hill.
- Hinsdale Central’s JKB and Hinsdale South’s ACE Club organized the D86 Leadership Conference.
- D86 students were named National Merit Semi-Finalists and Commended Scholars
- D86 Students and teachers set historic academic records:
- Both schools set new records in the total number of AP course enrollments and South set a new record for the number of graduates taking and passing at least one AP course
- AP passing rates of 71.8% at South and 89.4% far outpace state, national, and global rates.
- At Central, 490 students earned national AP Scholar Recognition, and 243 students at South achieved this honor, their highest number to date.
- Special Education students at Central improved their composite ACT outpacing the state average for regular education students in the all areas.
- The rate at which District 86 English Language Learner students reach English proficiency level far exceeds all other school districts in DuPage County.
- Hinsdale South’s Illusions Art Magazine was honored with two awards: “First Place with Special Merit” and “Most Outstanding High School Art Magazine for 2016” by the American Scholastic Press Association.
- Hinsdale South’s 2016 edition of the Vespa yearbook “Artifacts” earned a rating of All-American from the National Scholastic Press Association (the highest rating possible), as well as a Gold Medalist Certificate from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- Hinsdale Central Boys’ Golf won the state title
- Girls’ Golf earned 3rd in state.
- Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South were in the top 10 for highest achieving high schools in Illinois based on PARCC test scores.
- Hinsdale South Librarians Allison Bava & Ellen Lawrence presented two sessions at the Illinois School Library Media Association Conference. Their sessions were entitled “School Librarians: Leaders in Curriculum, Leaders in Schools” and “Running a 1st Rate Library Program”.
- 331 members of the classes of 2017 Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South High Schools were recognized as Illinois State Scholars.
- Three Hinsdale Central students were named to the Illinois Music Education Association All-State Choir.
- Hinsdale Central’s Kelly Watson (Physical Education) and Sara Pendergrass (Special Education) co-presented at the 2016 Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance’s statewide conference on collaboration to support students in Adaptive PE. Their presentation focused on Hinsdale Central’s Adaptive PE program with a special emphasis on the inclusion of general education Peer Buddy supports to enhance PE programming for students with disabilities.
- Hinsdale South’s Alex Baxmeyer was name Pit Orchestra Conductor for the 2018 All-State Musical, Big Fish.